City Government
City Council
Commissions & Committees
Agendas, Minutes & Hearings
City Departments
City Directory
City Forms
City Jobs
Bids - RFP's & RFQ's
Municipal Code
Public Information
RDA Successor Agency
(under construction)

Our Community
City Facts
CATX/CATLinx Public Transit
City Maps
New Resident Information
Photo Gallery
Links & Contacts

Frequently Asked Questions

Chamber of Commerce
Chamber of Commerce

Chowchilla Fair & Events Center

Site Map
Site Map




City of Chowchilla
Copyright 2005-2013  All Rights Reserved


Licenses, Permits and Fees

How can I obtain a marriage license, birth or death certificate, or passport?

Contact the Madera County Clerk's office at (559) 675-7721. The Chowchilla City Clerk does not have that information.

Where do I obtain a dog license?

Dog licenses may be obtained at the Chowchilla Police Department. Proof of rabies vaccination is required to receive a license. Check
with Animal Control for dates for their two annual rabies and licensing clinics. All dogs in the city limits of Chowchilla are required to be licensed as per city code. There is a minimal charge for this service.

What is a building permit needed for?

Permits are not just for new construction, but for remodeling as well. In many cases, a permit is required for repair or replacement of existing features, such as replacing windows. A plumbing, electrical, or mechanical permit is required for any additions or changes to the structure's existing system; for example, moving or adding an electrical outlet requires a permit. Contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (559) 665-8615, extension
787 or via email forr further information.

Do I need a permit for making repairs to my appliances?

Repairs do not always require a permit, but replacing items such as furnaces, air conditioners, and heaters do require a permit. To be sure, contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (559) 665-8615, extension 787
or send email.

How much does a permit cost?

Permit costs vary depending on the type of work being done. Contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (559) 665-8615, extension 787 for specific permit costs.

How long does it take to obtain a permit?

Permit issuance periods vary. Some permits can be issued over the counter, meaning return trips will not be necessary. Other projects require that plans be left with the department for review.

Can I perform work in the public right-of-way?

You must obtain an encroachment permit prior to working in the public right-of-way. You may obtain this permit at the Community and Economic Development Department located in the Chowchilla Civic Center at 130 S. Second Street, Civic Center Plaza.

What other types of things do I need permits for?

Permits are required in the City of Chowchilla for other things such as banners, special events, fireworks, RV parking, yard sales, alcohol use at events, and transportation. Check out
this Permits Brochure for further information or call the Civic Center at (559) 665-8615.

Do I need a permit to fill or drain my swimming pool?

Yes, you must first obtain a permit prior to draining or refilling any swimming pool at any time during the year. Applications are available at the Finance/Utilities window of the Chowchilla Civic Center located at 130 S. Second Street, Civic Center Plaza or by calling (559) 665-8615, extension 783.

How can I find information regarding fees throughout the City?

A fee schedule is available from the city pertaining to specific fees per department. Call us at (559) 665-8615 for information.