City Government
City Council
Commissions & Committees
Agendas, Minutes & Hearings
City Departments
City Directory
City Forms
City Jobs
Bids - RFP's & RFQ's
Municipal Code
Public Information
RDA Successor Agency
(under construction)

Our Community
City Facts
CATX/CATLinx Public Transit
City Maps
New Resident Information
Photo Gallery
Links & Contacts

Frequently Asked Questions

Chamber of Commerce
Chamber of Commerce

Chowchilla Fair & Events Center

Site Map
Site Map




City of Chowchilla
Copyright 2005-2013  All Rights Reserved


Yard Sales

Do I need a permit to hold a yard sale?

Yes, you need to obtain a permit from the Finance/Utilities Department in the Chowchilla Civic Center located at 130 S. Second Street, Civic Center Plaza. The yard sale is limited to the permit location only.

Is there a fee for this permit?

There is no fee for a permit to conduct a yard sale for the first three (3) sales per calendar year. A fee of $15.00 will be charged for each additional yard sale in the calendar year (up to six total maximum per year) as per City Ordinance #408-98. All fees are payable at the time the permit application is filed. Fees paid are not refundable.

How long before my yard sale should I obtain a permit?

Permits are requested to be submitted at least 72 hours prior to the date of the yard sale in order to allow review and processing time.

Is there a limit to the number of yard sales I can have in one year?

Yes. The maximum number of yard sales is six (6) per year.

How many consecutive days can I hold a yard sale?

Each yard sale is limited to a maximum of three (3) consecutive days.

Are there specific hours I can have a yard sale?

Sales held in the front or side yards are limited to 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. All items must be removed from the yard no later than 8:00 p.m. of each day of the sale.

What types of items may I sell?

Only personal property may be sold. This may include clothing, equipment, furniture, etc. No property is to be acquired or consigned for the purpose of resale at your yard sale.

My non-profit organization wants to hold a sale; do the same rules apply?

In the case of churches, public schools, fraternal organizations and other non-profit entities, six (6) sales per calendar year are allowed. For charitable purposes, the sale may be conducted on the premises or in building of said organization or other buildings with the submission of written permission of the property owner and approval by the City Administrator, with the recommendation of the Community and Economic Development Department. A sale may be held at a residence for the above listed groups, which will then constitute the permitted sale. Each sale is limited to no more than three (3) consecutive days.

What kind of signs can I put up to advertise my yard sale?

Two (2) free standing signs may be posted, subject to the written permission of the property owner on which the sale will take place. Said signs shall not exceed six (6) square feet in size. No signs are permitted within the public right-of-way or affixed to utility poles, street signs, or similar facilities used for public purposes as per Chowchilla Municipal Code 9.12.030. Notwithstanding the above, no sign may be posted in any place other than the property where yard sale is to be conducted.